I get a lot of inquiries from people who have an idea for a pop-up book but don't know what to do next. So I've decided to write a little tutorial on how to get your pop-up book published.
How to get a pop-up book published:
1. Come up with a great idea for a pop-up book.
2. Write the manuscript (manuscript = all the text that will appear in the book ). For pop-up books this can be as small as a few sentences or as long as a few pages.
3. Write a killer query letter. The query letter should explain why your idea is great and have some description of how you envision the pop-up elements in the book. These websites will show you how. http://www.ehow.com/how_3165_write-query-letter.html http://www.underdown.org/mf_query_letters.htm
4. Make a list of publishers whom you would like to submit your book to. The book "Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market" has lists of publishers and detailed instructions on how to submit to them. http://www.amazon.com/2010-Artists-Graphic-Designers-Market/dp/1582975833
If your book is for children get the Children's version entitled "Children's Writer's & Illustrators Market." http://bit.ly/7P83VI
5. Send your manuscript and query letter to publishers. Most people think that they need to have a paper engineer make a model of the book for them before they can submit it. But that is NOT true. All a publisher needs from you is the manuscript and the query letter. After your book gets accepted for publication the editor will hire a paper engineer for you.
And that's it!
Good luck with all your future pop-up endeavors!!!